Favorite Thai Desserts
Most of us know what are favorite Thai dishes are as far as meals are concerned, however how many of you have explored the desserts that Thai culture has to offer? Thai desserts are not light fare as most dessert in other cultures tend to be. Instead Thai desserts are very sweet and filling using mostly coconut cream, tropical fruit, sweet syrups and yes…sticky white rice! When it comes to the sweet after dinner treat or perhaps just satisfying that sweet tooth there are a few Thai desserts that I believe are a must try. Especially so that you are able to fully experience what dessert in the country of Thailand is really like. I’ve put together my top 5 favorite Thai desserts and what they are comprised of. Explore the sweet side of Thai and get ready for incredible flavor combinations as well as some new ingredients you may just discover.
- Khao Neow Toorien- This is a delicious coconut cream soup filled with sticky rice and a chunk of Durian. What exactly is Durian? It is a tree fruit that has a smell you hate to love. Not a meet in the middle flavor, it is often said that you either dislike durian or you absolutely love it. Needless to say mix it in this sweet filling dessert and you have yourself perhaps one of the best Thai desserts that can be found.
- Khanom Gluay- This dessert many refer to as the green goodness because of its traditional green color. Sound a little funky? The taste though will have you changing your mind. We start with sticky rice, add bananas, sugar, and shredded coconut. Next by soaking Pandanus leaves in cool water and adding it to the rest of the ingredients we have our green hued treat. The Pandanus leaves are solely for color and make this dessert distinctive.
- Khanom Jark- This delicious creation is minus the sticky rice. Comprised of a few basic ingredients such as flour, sugar, salt and coconut meat we then wrap this in a palm leaf and grill it! A little more simple and less filling than most of our desserts, it still is one of my favorite to enjoy.
- Khao Lam- I enjoy this Thai treat because of it’s unique preparation style. First we take a bamboo pole and stuff it with sticky rice and black beans that have been sweetened with a thick coconut syrup. Next we roast the bamboo stuffed poles over a low fire. Once they have been roasted long enough we use a strong knife to cut open the bamboo where the sticky sweet creation is ready to be served and eaten.
- Khao Tom Mud- Again this is possibly one of my very favorites because of the banana leaf and sweet candied filling. First we start with more of that sticky rice we are so fond of. Next we add black beans and then candy it with coconut milk and sugar to make a heavenly filling. We then wrap it in the banana leaf and it is ready to be served.
These are just 5 of my favorite Thai desserts but there are definitely many more to be tried. Although traditional Thai ingredients used in desserts are a bit different then a lot of western style desserts, they are still a force to be reckoned with. Next time you have a sweet tooth or maybe just a little inkling for something sweet and tasty, stop in to Siam Cabin Cuisine and try one of our house made delicious Thai desserts. We promise you won’t walk away unsatisfied.